Example of plastics
Definition: A material that contains as an essential ingredient an organic substance of large molecular weight, is solid in its finished state and at some stage in its manufacture or in its processing into finished can be shaped by flow.
Plastic is very useful in the building and construction, electronics (laptops wouldn't work well if they were made from glass), packaging (glad wrap), transportation industries and etc.
Benefit of using plastics:
- Extreme versatility and ability to be tailored to meet very specific technical needs.
- Its lasts forever and relatively inexpensive to produce.
- Resistance to chemicals, water and impact.
- Good safety and hygiene properties for food packaging
- Excellent thermal and electrical insulation properties.
- Lighter weight than competing materials, reducing fuel consumption during transportation.
Limitation of using plastics:
- Plastic is a compound that is indestructible.
- Most plastic is produced from oil.
- Plastics are durable materials.